Thursday, September 13, 2012

Extended Summer Menu

I know, the title is disappointing.  You were hoping for great "fall recipes" weren't you?   But I live in Texas, and although the temperature has dropped considerably (85-95 feels like heaven after 100+), it won't be fall here for a while.  So far we've gotten off pretty easy this year, though.  Last year at this time we were in the middle of a drought and trying to keep first graders from falling into huge cracks that had formed around the school playground, never to be seen or heard from again.

In spite of the multitude of fall decorating ideas and recipes on Pinterest, I absolutely refuse to decorate my house for fall until after October 1st, usually closer to mid-October.  One year I dutifully hauled out scarecrows, pumpkins, and hay September 22nd as the calendar dictates only to be ready to rip it all down all before Halloween.  When the trees don't even change color (if you can call it that) until November, it feels terribly foolish to have decorations up for over a month prior.  (To all of my friends out of state who are happily making soups and apple-type desserts and decorating their house for fall, just wait until March when that snow has long lost it's beauty, and we're close to enjoying the first tomatoes of the season.  Texas rules. Winter drools.)

But enough of all that.  Below is what's cooking in my kitchen for the next month--some of which I precooked and stashed in the freezer over the past few weeks. (Those recipes are linked to onceamonthmom.com which has links to the original recipes as well.)  I realize I provided two different options per night.  I like to have a myriad of choices so that I don't get bored with the same old-same old, and so I can pick and choose from what I have on hand and can buy at the Farmer's Market.  Although these recipes still include summer veggies, there are some "warmer" recipes for the cooler days.  Enjoy!

Week One

Saturday- Veggie Panini/Eggplant Parmesan
Monday- Ginger Peach Chicken/Sweet and Sour Chicken (I would use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch.)
Tuesday- Chickpeas and Tomato Basil Salad/Summer Veggie Pasta (Use less pasta or more veggies than the original recipe.)
Wednesday- Calabacitas/Zuni Stew (Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook)
Thursday- Veggie Stirfry/Frittata
Friday- Homemade Pizza 

Week Two

Sunday- Caprese Lasagna with Spicy Turkey Sausage/Grilled Pork Chops
Monday- Vegetable Tian/Quinoa Salad
Tuesday- Teriyaki Chicken Thighs/Orange and Honey Chicken Drumsticks (Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook)
Wednesday- Heirloom Tomato Tart/Tomato Basil Soup (both new recipes to try!)
Thursday- Chicken Wrap/Chicken Pesto Pasta

Weekend Lunches

Our tradition is to eat out for lunch on Sunday, and I typically eat leftovers during the week.  However, I am adding weekend lunches to my meal plans because somehow lunchtime on Saturday rolls around (as it does every week), and I am consistently shocked and surprised that we need to eat lunch.  Of course I have absolutely nothing at all planned, and all leftovers have been consumed as of the night before. Somewhere out in Chicago my husband is cheering and possibly dancing a little jig out of sheer joy as he loves my lack of planning for Saturday lunches.

Hummus (I use less lemon juice.) and Pita Bread (I used all whole wheat pastry flour.)

Any others have a favorite "not quite fall/end of summer" recipe to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment