Thursday, October 25, 2012

Mexican Chowder

Fall weather has finally arrived!  This is absolutely perfect timing for my culinary bent as Mexican Chowder is on the menu for the evening.  I had a recipe for this that I loved, but that recipe has somehow disappeared.  I searched the internet and found nothing that was quite like it, so tonight, I am boldly exploring new possibilities and creating my own recipe! 


Please forgive my photo-taking abilities.
Alright, as a guide I am starting with a corn chowder recipe from my faithful Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, tweaking it as my memory serves me, and adding my own creative twist.  Here we go...  

Mexican Chowder

1/2 C chopped yellow onion
1 T olive oil
1 medium chopped zucchini
14.5 oz chicken broth
1 C frozen corn
2 C chopped cooked chicken
1 small can chopped green chilies (I used home-canned hatch chili peppers.)
1 C milk
1 T flour
1/4 t salt (more if using homemade chicken broth)
1 T taco seasoning
1/4 C chopped cilantro (optional)
shredded cheese & tortilla chips (optional)

1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.  Add onions and sautee for a couple of minutes.  Add in zucchini and continue to cook until the onions are soft, but not brown.
2. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil.  Add corn, chicken, and green chilies.  Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. In glass measuring cup or small bowl whisk together milk, flour, salt, and taco seasoning.  (Supposedly you're supposed to let this cook and stir until it's "thick and bubbly."  Um, mine didn't really get thick, and I think chowders should be thick.  If you're happy with the "chowder" at this point, then skip to step 5.)
4. Melt 2 T butter in a small saucepan.  Whisk together 1 C of milk and 3 T of flour.  Slowly pour the milk mixture into the melted butter, whisking it until it thickens.  Add to chowder.  Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
5. Top with cilantro, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment